Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fandom

I've got this under control.

My daughter Madeleine is obsessed with Justin Bieber.  Obsessed, but in a healthy way; there is no melodrama surrounding the obsession.  She likes his music and enjoyed the movie. There are posters on her wall and there are a couple Bieber barbies in her collection (largely outnumbered by the female blonde beauties and a few flashier-than-I remember-Ken dolls).  There’s also a t-shirt, but it’s not your typical fan t-shirt because it came from H&M, obviously upping its cool factor.

She finds it really annoying when the girls scream and weep when he’s singing because she can’t hear the song.  Like when you go to a concert and everyone is singing along to your favourite song and you might as well be at HOME because you paid money to hear Bono/Dave Grohl/Brian Fallon/insert your fave here, not to hear these CLOWNS with their rock-on hands... but I digress. 

The music snob in me hates to admit it, but I don’t really mind her choice of idol; he’s a wholesome Canadian boy who walks the walk with regards to being kind and generous to others.  He loves his mama.  I do monitor him closely for any sign of questionable behaviour though, and nearly had to de-Bieber the house when the paternity suit was wrongfully filed against him last year. 
At Madeleine’s age, my idols were John Schneider (TV’s Bo Duke from Dukes of Hazzard), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), and Carrie Fisher (note the theme).  I actually had a Carrie Fisher Fan Club for a time, but it was run into the ground by poor management. 
Mark Hamill, sporting the original Bieber 'do

Madeleine is following the trend for girls her age, but the fact that she also loves the Dropkick Murphys and Peter, Paul & Mary reassures me that she’s inherited her father’s and my eclectic taste in music (Hanson, anyone?).

A few days ago, we were watching a segment on Ellen where the Beebs showed up by surprise; naturally the (mostly female) audience is going insane.  Madeleine is transfixed.

They want to kiss him, Mom. 

Really?

They do.

But you don’t want to kiss him, right?

OH yes. Yes I do. 

Pause

Okaywellyou’retooyoungtokissanybodyandweonlykisspeoplewhenwe’regrownupandturnoffthe tvandgettothetableit’sdinnertimeandthenbedandgoodnight.

I got this.

Oh yeah, and the jammies...



No comments:

Post a Comment